Propaganda and instruction documents
The ways and tricks of trickers via social networks.
Recently, in Ho Chi Minh City there have been many scam cases with serious damages caused by Vietnamese or suspected foreign trickers who are using the methods and tricks through social networks such as: Facebook, Zalo, Whatsapp, Skype, Tagged.com, etc in order to get acquainted, add friends, promise to marry and act as a guarantee for abroad living, offer to send valuable gifts including a lot of money, gold with the purpose to buy a house in Vietnam, business cooperation or suggestion to help us; Next, they pretend to be the delivers, customs officers, tax authorities, etc to inform that the gift boxes have been sequested because they contain many foreign currencies and valuable goods. If they want to get those goods, they have to pay fees, taxes or bribe.Then, fraudsters provided a bank account number to victims for payment. After that, they withdraw such money and then steal all. So far, there have been 3 scams via social networks in district 7 such as:
In March 2017, a man use called "Julian Gandel" on his Facebook, he added friend with Ms.Nguyen Thi T. who was born in 1950 and lives in Tan Phong Ward, District 7. After a period of chatting via Facebook, Mr.Julian Gandel wanted to help her plight by sending the amount of $ 100,000. On March 20th, 2017, a woman called Ms.T, introduced herself as a customs officer working at Tan Son Nhat airport named Le Nguyen Hoang Oanh, informed that Ms.T had a package in the airport and asked Ms.T to transfer $ 1,300 to receive the goods. Ms T thought it was the package of Mr. Julian Gandel delivered to her, so on March 20th, 2017 Ms. T went to ACB bank to transfer 30 million dong to account number 232258209 named Le Nguyen Hoang Oanh. Then Mrs Oanh messaged to Ms. T that she also found money in the package. Therefore, Ms. T had to transfer more150 million VND to receive the goods. Then on March 21st, 2017 Ms. T went to BIDV Bank to continue transferring the amount of 150 million VND to the account number 31810000092118 named Le Nguyen Hoang Oanh. With the similar methods and tricks, the trickers have asked Ms. T to transfer money twice more with the amount of 840 million VND. Finally, Ms. T had transferred a total of 1.020 million VND to Ms.Oanh and waited for a long time but didn’t receive the package and could not contact Ms Oanh and Julian Gandel. She knew that she was tricked and decided to report the police.
- The trickers often imitate engineers, doctors, and US soldiers… They sent their photos to introduce themselves that they are traders who are living in the United States or working in military in Afghanistan, Syria, etc and wanted to get acquaintance, add friends, promise of marriage on social networks such as: Facebook, Zalo, Whatsapp, Skype, Tagged.com, etc.
- Get acquaintance, add friends, make promise of marriage, act guarantee to go abroad, offer to send valuable gifts including a lot of money, gold, etc to buy a house in Vietnam, business cooperation or offer to help, do charity or give reasons such as their family need help, offer gifts, loans for business.
- Sending person to pretend to be the delivers, customs officers, tax authorities, etc to inform that the gift boxes have problem because they contain many foreign currencies and valuable goods. If they want to receive goods they have to pay fees, taxes or bribe. Next, they provide victims a bank account to tranfer their money. By this way, trickers withdraw all money for stealing
* From these incident, the Police of District 7 recommend people as follows:
- Do not trust and contact, communicate with foreigners or strangers who want to get acquaintance, make friends via social networks, phone, etc. Do not comunicate or follow up by the delivers, customs officers, tax authorities.
- Do not provide your personal information, phone number, privite account number, credit card to anyone. Do not be on behalf of others to transfer the account or receive money.
- Absolutely do not transfer money in any form when doubting the trickers, property stealing (If already transferred, you must inform the bank immediately to block the transferred money)
All suspects or discovering the related trickers and cheating cases, please suggest people to report the nearest police or Police of District 7 immediately
(Contact Tel: 028.37851.787), or the Economic and Position Investigation Police Team - Tel: 028.37851.506).
POLICE OF DISTRICT 7